Thursday, January 13, 2005

Reproductive endocrinologist

My gynocologist had set up appointments for me with both the nutritionist and a reproductive endocrinologist. I'm at the RE right now, pecking away at my palm pilot...

They did the requisite pregnancy test, checked height and weight (I'm up to 136, which I think is a very reasonable weight for my height of 5'5.5".)

I then spoke with the doc, who looked everything over, and confirmed the diagnosis of hypothalamic amenorrhea. I told her that I am increasing my calories and decreasing exerise - she said that given my past menstrual history (very irregular periods before I went on BC) that those are actually unlikely to help me.

So, it looks like the answer will be to use injectable hormones to cause ovulation. Clomid, which is usually tried before the injectables, won't work in my case, because the problem in my cycle is actually happening before that.

There is a concern about multiples, but we'll try and manage that as best we can by starting off with very low doses.

Next steps - more blood work to check for PCOS (although that is unlikely based on the ultradound she did. I did have a few follicles, but the largest was 9mm, where they usually don't progress until they get to about 12mm.) Also a check for various diseases and genetic anomalies. And an HSG test, which I've heard is a lot of fun (not!)

After that, we'll go in and talk about a plan in terms of starting the injections. We're going away from 2/25 to 3/22, so we'll probably get started after that. Unless I get my period before that... but it sounded as if she realy didn't think that that would happen.

No comments: