Thursday, September 01, 2011

Another step in the right direction

I've started feeling queasy just about every day, starting right after lunch.  Makes me feel like things are okay in there.  Three days before the fateful appointment with my last pregnancy, the very very mild queasiness I had disappeared entirely.  So it is definitely reassuring that I'm feeling this now, and nice that I'm actually feeling more queasy than I have for previous pregnancies.  I will take it!

So that was reassuring me, but I was still nervous about today's u/s appointment, and more so as it got closer and closer.  Didn't help that they were running half an hour behind, and had me sitting in the exam room with my feet up in stirrups for at least 20 min of that!

Anyway, when the doc finally came in, he popped the wand in and went first to look at my ovaries.  (WHY do they do that FIRST?  Why not go to the important part first???  He did pop by the uterus and I saw a nice black spot with junk inside.

When he focused on that briefly, I could have sworn that I saw a little flicker!

Moved over to the other ovary.  Then back to the uterus.  When he zoomed in I could see the yolk sac and baby, but no flicker... but then he changed planes by a little and there it was!  Measured it at a very nice 126bpm, which I think is just about perfect for this gestational age.  Measured the CRL and GS and all, everything right on target.

So.

Good news, but we're definitely not out of the woods yet.  I did make my first OB apt for 9/19, which will be just shy of 10 weeks, and hopefully will not go like my last 10wk OB appointment.

My gut says that the last pregnancy failed because something went wrong in the transition from the baby getting its nutrients from the yolk sac to placenta.  I hope that this little one (whom we will nickname Pswyfl, pronounced Shweffel, going with another creative spelling) will manage to get that step right.

11 comments:

♥ JAM said...

Yay! :-)

A m a n d a said...

I can't believe they made you wait that long, and then checked your OVARIES?!?!

So happy things are looking good. This is it Nico!!! Sorry, but I hope you feel like crap in the afternoons for at least a few more weeks ;)

Jos said...

YAY!!! I'm so glad you got to see that flickering heartbeat. :) Wonderful news!

MsPrufrock said...

So this is what happens when you stop reading blogs for awhile! What wonderful news to stumble upon. I understand being guarded of course, but (reserved, subdued, fingers crossed) congratulations.

Kristen said...

Such great news! A little nausea has never sounded so good!

Rebecca said...

Yea! That's wonderful news. I'm with you on being glad for the nausea. I know it's no fun, but I hope it sticks around for you only because it tends to be reassuring...

E and R said...

YAY!! Great news!

Susannah said...

CONGRATS!!!! So happy for you. Also, Jeff and I didn't find out the sex either...I loved the suspense! Although I did have a "gut" feeling it was a boy..Jeff liked to say I had a 50% chance of being right so I am no psychic:) Did you have hunches with your boys? Are you def not finding out withthis one either?

Anonymous said...

YAY!!! Let's go feeling like crap!

I know - they always check the ovaries first - it's almost as if they have no hearts.

T

S said...

Wishing you the best!

Katie H. said...

Yay Nico! So happy for you!