Tuesday, June 20, 2006

To appease the hordes clamoring for an update (okay, at least a couple of you asked ;-), we're hanging in there. I didn't end up going to work yesterday because although I slept better than I had in the hospital, just an hour of sitting at my home office computer convinced me that I wasn't quite ready yet. So I spent the day reading books and curled up on the couch downstairs with my computer. Love the broadband internet access! M came home early, and we did go out for dinner to celebrate our seven year anniversary. Do I feel guilty for not going to work, but then going to dinner? Yeah, just a smidge. But I'll get over that soon.

I did go in to work today - got there at around 10, checked email, did about three productive things, then started feeling a bit light-headed and nauseous. Lunch didn't make me feel any better, nor did a Snickers bar (but it's packed with peanuts! It's supposed to satisfy me! HA.) So I left to come home at 1:30. I figure it'll take me a few days before I'm really feeling back up to snuff again.

One of my coworkers asked me if I'd lost weight - she said my arms look thinner. Yeah, thanks for bringing up the fact that my muscle mass has basically gone to nothing! I haven't been gaining much weight the last few weeks, but I think it really is that all my muscles are turning into jello. I'm going to have a lot of things to hold over Phred's head when he/she is older.

I was reading over some of my old blog entries earlier today, and I realized I used to be a lot more entertaining. So I thought I'd regale you with some fun from the hospital.

"Firsts" from my first hospital incarceration:

1. It wasn't really my first time in a hospital. I was in a serious car accident about ten years ago - broke my collar bone, stiches in my face, and a concussion that means I have zero recollection of the accident or about four days afterwards. So this stay was "new to me", but not brand new.

2. They have a portable u/s machine that they can bring right to your bedside. I had no idea!

3. The u/s showed that Phred is, as I have long suspected, happily in a breech position. So I wasn't allowed anything to eat after they admitted me, in case we had to do an emergency C-section. So the last sustenance I'd had was lunch at 11:30 on Wednesday.

4. Thursday morning, much to my surprise, the door of my room opened and a tray was brought in. We weren't sure if I was allowed to have anything on it or not. But just seeing "food" brought tears to my eyes I was so hungry and weak feeling.

5. It was for me - clear liquids. Woo-hoo!!! I got to have jello, apple juice, and chicken broth. It was better than nothing, but still a bit of a disappointment.

6. I got to have an italian ice and a popsicle for lunch. SO much better.

7. When they gave me the initial magnesium bolus, the nurse said that I would quite quickly feel hot all over, flushed, and my heart might start racing. What she didn't tell me was that the place I would feel hottest was my "vajayjay". Boy, was that ever a weird feeling.

8. They won't let you get out of bed once they've started the magnesium, because you essentially have no control over your muscles. So I got to use a bedpan for the first time. It was a bizarre experience. I basically ended up peeing all over my butt. And then sitting in it. After the second time I asked for a catheter, because I just could not imagine having to pee into that thing once an hour.

9. Having the catheter put in wasn't nearly as bad as I would have thought. A little numbing gel, then all I felt was a pinch. I remember reading on someone's blog that she didn't want to have an epidural because of the catheter. I have a tiny feeling that the pain of labor is going to SO far eclipse the "pain" of having that catheter put in.

10. The first time I stood up after the mag was stopped was another truly strange feeling. I still felt really heavy and out of control.

11. I was taken to the antepartum unit in a wheelchair. My eyes were better, but still unable to focus quickly enough to deal with the images flashing by as I was wheeled down the corridor.

12. The first time I peed on my own after having the catheter removed was a little scary - quite a bit of blood. I guess when I rolled from side to side and felt twinges down there it was doing something after all. Fortunately that didn't take too long to resolve.

That's all I can think of for now. Have a good night, all!


VanillaDreams said...

I am glad to hear that things are going a little better for you now..... It sounds like a good idea for you to continue to take it easy -- there is no point in rushing back to work if it will only aggravate things for you. I had to smile and grimace at some of your hospital experiences! ;) I have been there myself, several times, unfortunately. I think I mentioned some of my not-so-fun hospital experiences in my post about Ovarian cancer on my blog. And I could certainly regale everyone with much, much more!

Anyway, I hope things continue to go well for you. I'll keep checking for more updates!

VanillaDreams -- http://vanilladreams.typepad.com/

Mari said...

Nico - thanks for posting about the catheter as I was worried about the pain of having one inserted. But you are correct the pain of labour verus the small pain of a catheter is nothing...you have made me feel a little better at the thought that I might eventually need one.

Take it easy...when do you finish work?

Liz said...

Nico, what a scary experience. I'm glad you are home and hope the next couple of weeks will go smoothly. Thanks for describing your experience.

tonya said...

What an ordeal you've been through! PTL-- and the meds that go with it-- certainly do suck rocks. Are you on terbutaline now? The mag sounds dreadful.

I am so glad that you are back home again and getting back into the swing of things. I really hope the contractions aren't productive and that Phred gets to bake a while longer.

Pamela said...

I would so not feel guilty about staying home from work, but going out to dinner to celebrate your aniversary with your husband... work and dinner are very different things! Snickers never do it for me, either.

S. said...

Whoever said they wouldn't get an epidural because of feeling the catheter???
Once I had the epi, I didn't even know I had a catheter in until after the delivery and they were "emptying" me. LOL!

Good that you're feeling better. A good night's sleep helps a ton.

As for the co-workers, just take them w/ a grain of salt. Unfortunately I think most pregnant women get crappy comments at some point.