Monday, June 25, 2007

Notes from the front

I'm bored with what we eat. And I'm looking for either quick and easy recipes that I can make at night after Ant has gone to bed, or things that make for good leftovers. I was thinking of doing a reprise of Jenn's virtual cookie exchange, for dinner recipes. What do you think? If you think its a good idea and would be interested in participating, let me know either in the comments or via email (noperiodbaby[at]comcastDOTnet).

After my declaration of a few weeks ago that I was quitting nursing NOW, things improved significantly. The biting subsided again, I now let down for the pump almost every time, and overall it's just a much less frustrating experience. I did switch over the afternoon feed to formula because that was really iffy with me getting home from work, and if his sitters fed him before I got home finding the time to pump just wasn't happening. I was very pleasantly surprised that he had no problem at all taking the formula. Although when I went to make it for him the first time I was a bit taken aback by the WARNING: breastmilk is best for your baby in large letters. Way to stick the knife in and *twist*. I can only imagine how hard that warning is to see for someone who wanted to breastfeed but wasn't able to.

I played golf for the first time since April 30 of last year, this past weekend. I had been planning on playing until I was 7-8 months, but the contractions starting at 25 weeks foiled that idea. It was so nice to get out there again (the in-laws babysat for us), and I was very pleasantly surprised at how well I played. I had two holes where I fell apart, but even with that I still shot a 108 where I was regularly shooting about 104-105 before last year. And, the weather was just perfect!

Finally, we had another fun day with my niece yesterday. We went over to my mom's house for the afternoon. Her husband decided to mow the lawn - they have a big piece of land, so he uses a ride-on mower. The kids thought it was better than sliced bread. My niece was out there first, and was squealing in delight every time he'd come around the corner, and then waving and waving at him every time he'd make a pass. Ant and I joined them out there after a little bit, and he found it just as entertaining. When he gets excited he waves his arms up and down and pumps his little legs - every time R would drive by Ant would be jumping up and down with glee. Us adults had a marvellous time watching the kids have a marvellous time. They definitely help make everything fun and new again.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm definitely up for a recipe exchange! I can't wait for December so I can do another.

Eva said...

We need more quick recipes, too. Right now ours are basically, do we call for pizza, grab sandwiches, or pick up Chinese? When we do cook it's usually a huge batch of pasta which, with my appetite, lasts only 2 days.

Glad things are better with the BFing. You probably just needed to relax. Ha, ha, ha, just kidding, I figured you hadn't heard that one in a while.

Ant sounds adorable. I love the image of the arm and leg pumping. Sarah does something similar when excited.

Anonymous said...

oh yes, count me in for a recipe exchange - I am bored, bored, bored!

S said...

I'd love some fresh recipe ideas!

And yes, I still feel the sting from the "warning" on the formula containers, even though JuniorMint has been on regular milk for 3 months.
I was one of those who tried BF-ing and it didn't go well. Way to kick me when I'm already down, you know!